Beach bag checklist
There’s nothing worse than getting set up at the perfect sandy spot for the day and realizing that you forgot an essential piece of gear. Here’s a checklist of must-haves (sunscreen) and some nice-to-haves (umbrella).
- Sunscreen (plus lip block)
- UVSunSense wristbands (when they turn pink, it’s time to reapply sunscreen)
- Towels and/or blanket
- Umbrella and chairs
- Sunglasses and hats
- Dry clothes/UV protective clothing
- Water shoes
- Diapers and wipes/disposable swim diapers
- Snacks, lots of water, lunch
- Baggies for diapers, wet clothes, garbage or found “treasures”
- Baby powder or other product to help brush sand off easily
- First aid kit and bottle of eye wash in case of sand in the eyes
- Hand sanitizer
- Bug repellent
- Small pop-up play tent (great for meltdowns brought on by too much sun or the need for a nap)
- Beach toys
- Cash for treats
- Field guides for tide pooling, and a book for you!
Editor's note: This article was originally published in 2013 and updated most recently for 2018.