ParentMap and PCC Natural Markets have partnered to produce an exciting web series called Healthy Kids Cook, designed to encourage families to make a healthy habit of cooking fresh food together in the kitchen. In this season’s Healthy Kids Cook, we’re focusing on quick and easy meals that you and your family will love making at home. Each month, Chef Jackie Freeman hosts families in the PCC kitchen to create a quick, filling, fresh and fun recipe featuring seasonal fruits and vegetables.
This month, Chef Jackie invited 11-year-old Ryley and her Mom, Jen, from STAR 101.5, to help make Greek chicken kebabs with easy tzatziki sauce. They're super fast and flavorful, with a great combination of lean protein and fresh veggies to keep active bodies well-fueled.
Recipe: Greek Chicken Kebabs With Tzatziki Sauce
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1 small zucchini, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 bell peppers (any color), seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 1/2 small eggplant, cut into 1-inch chunks (optional)
- 1/2 red onion, cut into chunks
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried mint
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Wooden skewers
In a large bowl or resealable bag, combine chicken, zucchini, peppers, eggplant, onions, garlic, lemon juice, oil, oregano, mint, salt and pepper. Marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes or refrigerate overnight.
Heat a grill or grill pan over medium heat. Soak skewers in water for 15 minutes.
Thread chicken, alternating with vegetables, onto skewers. Discard remaining marinade. Grill skewers, turning occasionally, until chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Tzatziki Sauce Ingredients
- 8 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- ¼ English cucumber – halved lengthwise, seeded and diced or grated
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried mint or dill
- Pinch of salt
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and serve.
Each serving: 260cal, 13g fat (2.5g sat), 65mg chol, 300mg sodium, 11g carb, 4g fiber, 5g sugars, 25g protein.