Late Winter Play List: 20-plus Outings and Getaways for Seattle Families
Need some new ideas for late winter? No problem. Here are 20-plus ways to get out, get away and have fun. See also our events calendar, our list of great get-outdoors activities, and our giant rainy-day play list.
- Go bowling! Our guide tells you how, where and why.
- Lace up your old skate, and wobble onto an ice rink: Our area's terrific indoor rinks are open all the time.
- Elevated Sportz in Bothell, a huge trampoline/play space, has a cheap "Hoppy Hour" special every day Monday-Friday from 10 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Try a new option on our giant rainy-day play list.
- Try a new children's museum.
Get outdoors/get active
- Get the white stuff! Head to the Snoqualmie Tubing Center or one of these other great sledding places for all-downhill fun.
- Go snowshoeing: It's cheap, easy to do, and it's a good way to connect with older kids.
- The other skiing -- cross-country -- is also (relatively) cheap and easy to do; here's a guide of where to go and how to motivate your kids (ahem, gummy bears).
- Do one of these super, rain-friendly hikes, which provide an educational out in bad weather.
Learn and explore
- Go to museums for free! Check out our just updated list of free museum days.
- Check out Seattle Art Museum's blockbuster new exhibit of the later work of Joan Miro; our reviewer says not only can you take young kids, you should (and kids ages 12 and under are free!).
- See some amazing brick houses at EMP's new LEGO architecture exhibit, and build away.
- Learn about the history of segregation in baseball at Northwest African American Museum's Pitch Black exhibit.
- VisitElwha: A River Reborn, the Burke Museum's exhibit about one of our region's most remarkable ecological stories.
- Get some much-needed nature connection at one of these indoor spaces blooming with bromeliads, butterflies and more.
Not-to-miss concerts and shows
- Check out our list of 20 spring arts shows.
- If you are a Monty Python fan and have older kids, Spamalot at the 5th Avenue Theatre s a must-see.
- If you can do a splurge, the dazzling, horse extravaganza Cavalia is calling your name.
A complete list of shows on our calendar.
- Only an hour from Portland is the best water park/flight museum in the west, guaranteed to entertain and educate everyone.
- Head to Chelan for off-season fun, including cheap skiing, wine-tasting and lots o' sun.
- Get a front seat on nature-ific drama with a day or two of stormwatching in Oregon.
- Bask in a rainshadow, learn about whales, walk the beaches on San Juan Island.
- Drive to B.C.'s ski country for great snow, ski-in/ski-out resorts and outdoor ice skating and sleigh rides.
- Try snow biking, dog sledding, or plain old awesome powder skiing in Bend, Oregon.