The Weekender: Seattle Events for Kids and Families, April 7-8, 2012
Since the weather is changing by the minute these days, I won't hazard a guess at what this weekend will be like (though the sunny weather forecast makes me think we might get downpours). Either way, our calendar is jam-packed with rain-or-shine events this weekend. Check the calendar for the full list -- here are some highlights. Happy Easter and Passover!
1. If the weather is nice (and even if it's not), go on one of these seven spring hikes recommended by a local hiker mom. They're relatively close, kid-friendly, and combine trail walks with a nature center, where you can explore more and warm up, too.
2. There's Easter, of course: We've listed around 40 egg hunt-type events on our calendar, including community egg hunts, the Woodland Park Zoo's beloved Bunny Bounce (9:30-2 p.m.), with egg hunting + critter-observing (see photo at right); the Phinney Ridge Romp, with music by Recess Monkey (10:30-11:15 a.m.); a Crossroads Easter bash in Bellevue (11 a.m.-4 p.m.); an egg scramble at the Woodmark in Kirkland (10:30 a.m.), a spring festival in Issaquah (10 a.m.-4 p.m.); two vintage Easter trains to the south; a pajama egg hunt and brunch at Twirl Cafe in Queen Anne (9-11 a.m.).
3. The Seattle Asian Art Museum is FREE on Saturday and will show a film about shadow puppets at 1:30 p.m., among other fun events for families.
4. In Tacoma, go to Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium to coo over the four new baby meerkats that are in the Kids Zone area.
5. On Saturday and Sunday, learn all about sea otters at the Seattle Aquarium -- it's the kick-off weekend for its Marine Mammal Mania events throughout April.
6. Caspar Babypants is playing twice on Saturday in Seattle -- at the 10:30 a.m. Kids Rock Series at Mount Baker Community Center and then at the all-ages Easter bash in West Seattle (11:30 a.m.-3 p.m.).
8. It's the last weekend to catch the Moisture Festival's wacky mix of vaudeville, acrobatics and old-time entertainment. The show plays in Fremont at 3:30 and 7:30 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. (Read our review here.)
9. If you're looking for Easter fun on Sunday, you can wear your kids out at Sky High Sport's Easter Hop in Bellevue (10 a.m.-10 p.m.!), participate in the last of the egg hunts at the Children's Museum in Seattle (8:30-10 a.m.), or go to a free egg hunt at Peter Kirk Park in Kirkland.