ParentMap Is Hiring a Managing Editor!
ParentMap, a dynamic Seattle-area media company with a magazine readership of more than 200,000 and monthly web traffic of more than 400,000 unique visitors, is looking for an experienced, full-time managing editor. The ideal candidate should have a strong background in print and online journalism (both editing and writing); experience managing an editorial team; and a talent for developing the spot-on mix of fun, useful and newsy content and related products that our audience of uber-busy parents wants and needs.
In short, we want someone who is poised to build on ParentMap’s strengths to advance the magazine and website to a new level of excellence. Bonus points if you’re a crackerjack headline writer.
The candidate should live in the Puget Sound region. This role will include but is not limited to:
Managing all editorial channels for ParentMap, including daily digital content, social media and print magazine
- Lead editorial team in all aspects of creating and driving annual editorial calendar across all channels, with a balanced mix of high-performing content that includes groundbreaking feature stories, top parenting news, the most awesome local outings and travel and sponsored content.
- Lead editorial team in vetting pitches and making assignments and building/nurturing a truly excellent team of freelance writers.
- Responsible for the integrity and success of all ParentMap content
Leading content strategy and community engagement
- Lead editorial team to develop new editorial products that map to ParentMap’s overarching business and editorial goals
- Track and analyze success of content using metrics tools, and lead the team in making adjustments based on impact, goals and ROI
- Establish and nurture relationships with community partners, leaders and organizations to further the magazine and strengthen our relationships with readers and partners
- Participate in ParentMap’s leadership team, including help setting annual business and editorial goals and budgets
- Manage a small team of full- and part-time editors and editorial staff in all facets of their work
- Collaborate across multiple teams, including Sales and Marketing, to develop new products and partnerships
- Lead efforts to recruit, nurture and maintain an excellent cohort of freelance writers (and other contractors, such as photographers) who contribute to ParentMap
Required skills and experience
The executive editor of ParentMap needs to be talented, creative, enthusiastic, organized, innovative and bring new ideas in the parenting and family space. Specific skills required include:
- B.A. in journalism or related field, or equivalent experience
- At least five years experience in news or magazine editing, as well as several years experience in news or magazine writing; as well as experience developing new editorial products
- Demonstrated ability to manage an editorial department, including staff editors and freelancers
- Familiarity with online metrics and tools (eg, Google Analytics) to analyze content performance
- Ability to succeed in a virtual office environment
- Knowledge of best practices in SEO; social media marketing for news; and writing for enewsletters; as well as familiarity with content management systems, photo editing software and related programs
Note: ParentMap operates in a flexible, virtual office environment, meaning that the managing editor will be based at home, but be responsible for participating in weekly meetings, in person and by phone; and for managing a team virtually. This job is full-time and reports to the publisher.
Salary and benefits: ParentMap offers a competitive salary package including paid vacation and sick leave.
How to apply: Email a cover letter, resume and recent writing and editing clips to email@example.com. Include “Managing Editor” in the subject line.
More about ParentMap
With an audience of more than 230, 000 in the Puget Sound area, ParentMap is a Northwest media company providing highly relevant, well-researched and entertaining content to families. We do this through various integrated publishing channels: our award-winning newsmagazine; ParentMap.com, the Puget Sound’s leading website for parents and caregivers; and our annual series of lectures and community events.
We welcome pitches from freelance writers for ParentMap.com or a future issue of ParentMap magazine. Please review the following guidelines below before writing your query letter or pitch.
1. Take a close look at ParentMap magazine, ParentMap.com and the type of pieces we publish before drafting your query. This will give you a good idea of the different kinds of stories we publish, our voice and our audience. As a Puget Sound-based monthly print publication and a national-audience website publishing daily, we're interested in both locally-anchored Puget Sound stories and broader parenting pieces.
2. We cover family life from pregnancy through college and beyond, and we aim for a diverse chorus of voices. We welcome guest bloggers who have a distinct voice and unique perspective on some aspect of parenting or family life, and we love writers who can swoop in and quickly riff on current affairs and parenting zeitgeists alike.
3. We generally work with writers who have some experience, so please list the publications in which your work has been published and, as available, links to your previous work.
4. Payment for stories depends on length and placement of the article. ParentMap purchases first American rights, print and electronic, for articles and pays within 30 days following publication.
Please email queries and pitches to firstname.lastname@example.org.