Day Out With Thomas. Credit: Stephen Smith
All aboard for fun with Thomas! Fans of Thomas the Tank Engine — and train lovers in general — can delight in the news that the popular Day Out With Thomas event will return to the Seattle area once again during summer 2023.
A life-size, talking Thomas will visit the Northwest Railway Museum in Snoqualmie, Wash., over three weekends this summer: July 7–9, July 14–16 and July 22–23. Advance booking is recommended and timed tickets are on sale now.
The theme for this year’s Thomas visit is “Let’s Get Colorful.”
Scroll down for some good-to-know tips, but first, let’s get to the fun times awaiting families at Day Out With Thomas.
Day Out With Thomas itinerary:
- Guests take a short ride in a train car pulled by a life-size Thomas the Tank Engine and arrive at the activities area.
- There, families can explore the Play Pod, play games and say hello to Sir Topham Hatt, the stern controller of railways on the Island of Sodor.
- Hop back aboard with Thomas for a 30-minute train ride to the top of Snoqualmie Falls and then back to the depot.
- Shop for exclusive Thomas merch (parents, you’ve been warned).
- Visit the railway museum exhibit hall; admission is included in your Thomas ticket price.
Tips for families:
- Plan to arrive 30 minutes before your ticket time, so keep that in mind when planning your day.
- Allow two hours for the excursion and play time, not including arriving 30 minutes ahead of your ticket time.
- Some years, the weather during this event has been super hot. Pack water, sunscreen and wide-brimmed hats if the forecast calls for a scorcher
- This event has sometimes involved crowds and waiting; pack your patience and consider making sure kids have full bellies before you arrive. Snacks are available for purchase.
- Say “hi” to Thomas for us and have fun!
If you go ...
Find it: The Seattle-area Day Out With Thomas event takes place at the Northwest Railway Museum’s Snoqualmie Depot, located at 38625 S.E. King St. in Snoqualmie. It’s about a 35-minute drive from Seattle and parking is free.
Dates: Day Out With Thomas takes place over three weekends: Friday–Sunday, July 7–9 and 14–16, plus Saturday–Sunday, July 22–23, 2023. Timed sessions start on the hour.
Age recommendation: The Thomas experience is designed for children ages 8 and younger, though all ages are welcome.
Cost: Tickets cost $28 for Friday excursions, and $30 for Saturday or Sunday excursions. Tickets are required for guests ages 1 and older; babies younger than 1 ride free on an adult’s lap. Buy tickets in advance online. Tickets typically sell out in advance, but day-of tickets will be sold if space is available.