ParentMap accepts the following items on a space-available basis
Parent Learning: Classes, seminars or other educational opportunities for parents in the Puget Sound area. Include date, time, place and cost, if any, plus a contact phone number, email address and/or Web site address where people can go for more information. Deadline for Parent Learning listings is the first of the month, one month prior to publication (for example, December 1st for the January issue). Please send details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We publish zoned calendars for Seattle, the Eastside, Snohomish County and South King/Pierce County. The online calendar contains information for all zones.
- We focus on information about family and child-oriented activities, events and one-day workshops and classes, and welcome notices from smaller, community-based organizations. Currently, we do not publish information about camps or multi-day workshops or classes.
- Extra online-only event categories include "Benefits" (fundraising events for family and child-oriented organizations) and "Buying/Selling" (community and non-profit sales of family or children's items).
- Deadline for calendar listings is the first of the month, one month prior to publication (e.g., December 1st for the January issue).
- Send details -- including date, time, cost, address, contact information including Web address, brief description and age range if applicable -- to email@example.com. We also accept images for publication on the print calendars or calendar homepage (300 dpi, 3 x 5 inches, color preferred).
- Events are published at the editor's discretion, and notices will be edited for space and style.
Freelance writer information
We welcome suggestions from freelance writers who have story ideas for a future issue of ParentMap.
Please review the guidelines below before writing your query letter.
1. Take a close look at ParentMap and the type of content we use before drafting your query letter. This will give you a good idea of the different kinds of stories we publish, our voice and our audience. As a Puget Sound–based publication, we're interested in stories that will appeal to families throughout the Puget Sound region. You have the best chance of turning your query into an assignment if it fits within one of the departments that are a regular part of each issue of ParentMap. Here's an overview of departments that appear in all (or most) issues:
- Ages & Stages. This age-specific section forms the core of ParentMap. Over and over, parents tell us that an age section -- which gives them content specific to the age of their child -- is what they turn to first. Ages and Stages is divided into five age groups: 0-2, 3-5, 6-10, 11-14, 15-20. We're looking for short pieces (generally 700 words or less) that address a specific issue for an age group. Content runs the gamut from a first-person piece about a particular parenting experience, to concrete information on an enlightening study.
- Out & About. Reviews and ideas for places to go and things to do, locally and regionally.
2. Query letters can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or sent via mail to ParentMap, PMB #399, 4742 42nd Ave. S.W., Seattle, WA 98116-4553. When writing us, please detail the topic you'd like to address as well as your strategy for writing the story. Demonstrate that you are adept at doing research by mentioning the kinds of sources you intend to use.
3. We generally work with writers who have some experience, so please make sure you list the publications in which your work has been published. Also include links to Web sites on which your work has appeared, and/or mail us photocopied examples of your published work. Do not send originals, as we can't guarantee their return.
4. Payment for stories depends on length and placement of the article. ParentMap purchases first American rights, print and electronic, for articles and pays within 30 days following publication.