Olivia's Old-Fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookies
From Leslie Mackie's Macrina Bakery & Café Cookbook, Sasquatch Books
Makes 16 cookies
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Add chocolate chips and mix well with a spoon. Set aside.
- Combine butter, shortening, granulated sugar and brown sugar in the bowl of your stand mixer. Using the paddle attachment, mix on medium speed for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is smooth and pale in color. Add 1 egg and mix until incorporated.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, then add the remaining egg and vanilla extract. Continue mixing until incorporated, about 1 minute. Remove the bowl from the mixer and scrape down the sides again.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold half of the dry ingredients into the dough. After the first batch is fully incorporated, fold in the rest of the dry ingredients and continue folding until all the flour has been absorbed. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Chill in the refrigerator for a least one hour. At this point, the dough can be formed into cookies or stored in the refrigerator for up to four days.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough out of the bowl (use a medium ice cream scoop) and roll the dough into 2-inch balls. Place eight of the balls on each baking sheet, leaving 3 inches between each fall. Flatten the balls with the palm of your hand to about 1- inch think. Place a sheet of cookies in the refrigerator while baking the other sheet.
- Bake cookies, one sheet at a time, on center rack of oven for 15-18 minutes each. To help the cookies bake evenly, rotate the baking sheet every 4 minutes or so. The finished cookies will be golden brown around the edges and still light in the center.
- Let cool on the baking sheet for 15 minutes.
Macrina Bakery, Located in Belltown, Queen Anne and Vashon
Sasquatch Books —publisher of books for and from the Pacific Northwest, Alaska, and California—is the nation's premier regional press.