More winter and spring adventure ideas
- Try geocaching: Technology plus nature plus a treasure hunt is a win-win-win.
- Rock treasures: Search for (or hide) painted rocks.
- Clam up: Clamming is easy, gets families outside in any kind of weather, and at the end of an hour or so, you have dinner.
- Storm away: Grab your kids and your Gore-tex and explore these beaches and parks that are at their best in wild weather.
- Rainy-day parks: Thumb your nose at the weather (and bring a towel) and head to the park anyway.
Editor's note: This article was originally written by Jennifer Johnson. Writer Bryony Angell contributed to a signficant recent update.