Festivals of Light is an annual exhibit, returning each December as we prepare for the winter solstice and the many cultural celebrations that happen during the winter months.
Holidays We Explore: Diwali, Santa Lucia, Kwanzaa, Chanukah, Las Posadas, Loi Krathong, Bodhi Day
This unique offering provides families with hands-on multi-cultural experiences. By highlighting several different winter celebrations, Festivals of Light focuses on both the science of the seasons and on the different traditions integral to each festival. We hope to provide opportunities for families to explore customs different from their own and find the similarities and differences among traditions.
Experience the joy of discovery with these cultural adventures:
- Explore – Traditions of Diwali, Loi Krathong, Bodhi Day, and more!
- Make – Luminaries, diya lamps, Kinara bracelets, Tomtens!
- Listen – Traditional klezmer music, African drumming!
- Play – Dreidel, pepparkakor matching, Rangoli coloring!
Festivals of Light showcases:
- Diverse community-centered cultural traditions, practices of personal renewal, and anticipating the return of longer daylight hours.
- Featuring cultural performances and traditions from communities around the world!
Join us for special guest performances throughout December!
|Saturday, December 2||Joyas Mestizas||1:00pm||Mexican music & dance|
|Sunday, December 10||Chaopraya Ensemble||1:00pm||Thai music & dance—and stick around to cook a Thai treat!|
|Saturday, December 16||Orkestyr Farfeleh||2:00pm & 3:00pm||Klezmer music|
|Sunday, December 17||Orkestyr Farfeleh||12:00pm & 12:30pm||Klezmer music|
|Sunday, December 17||Ocheami||2:00pm||Ghanaian music & dance|
|Tuesday, December 19||Sarah Lovett||TBD||Lantern making workshop|
|Saturday, December 30||Melody Institute||1:00pm||Chinese dance|