Dear Reader: The Center of It All?
As a 20-year resident of Seattle, I thought I knew Seattle Center well. After all, I’ve been to umpteen festivals there, as well as the ballet, the opera, Pacific Science Center, EMP and even newer hot spots such as Chihuly Garden and Glass and the Armory. Heck, I even remember the Fun Forest!
But my image of Seattle Center, it turns out, was in need of a thorough reboot, and I received it by editing this month’s behind-the-scenes, multidimensional feature on Seattle Center, which has reinvented itself in recent years in ways that honor and advance its mission as a community gathering space.
Ever wonder who’s responsible for the grounds that host 40-odd festivals a year? Or how that 30-foot climbing tower at the new playground was ever approved? Or, perhaps, simply, how to avoid parking hassles or afford the Space Needle? Find outAnd be sure to explore the hidden corners of Seattle Center for yourself for a fun staycation day, and post your snaps on Instagram for our July photo contest.
If your summer goals are more about escaping the city completely instead of exploring its urban spaces, you’ll want to head immediately to “Get your gear on!” for cool tips from experts on making camping comfy and fun (two words: bunk cots).
Finally, in the department of “potentially life-saving news that’s tough to hear,” find out about the shocking rise of sexually transmitted diseases among youths (“STDs! OMG!”) and what you can do now to prevent problems later.
Hope your summer brings you an abundance of family adventures and connection.
Ages + Stages
- Get Your Gear On! The Best Family Camping and Adventure Equipment
- STD, OMG! Talking to Your Teen About Sexually Transmitted Infections
- The Secrets to Seattle Center (introduction and index)
Best Things to Do at Seattle Center by Age — a tots-to-teens guide to top attractions
- The Quiet Side of Seattle Center — 6 pockets of green space, history and art to discover
- Seattle Center Stories — A KEXP DJ, playground designer, gardener, engineer and pedicab driver tell the stories behind the center
Sky High? How to Do the Space Needle Right — Make the most of your pricey elevator ride
- Festál: Seattle Center's Window on the World — Behind the scenes at the extraordinary 19-year-old cultural festival series that is Festál
- A Summer Day in the Life of Seattle Center — And you think you're busy
Someone You Sould Know
- James Whetzel, Seattle Center's Music Man — Did you know Seattle Center International Fountain has its own DJ?