Super Spray Parks in the Seattle Area
Written by By Kris Collingridge and Elisa Murray
Filed under: Outings and activities
On a hot — or even just lukewarm — late spring or summer day, there's often only one thing that will please everyone: water play. And that's what free spray parks are all about. They also tend to be open longer hours than wading pools.
Here's a guide to spray parks in greater Seattle area. New spray parks are marked by an asterisk. Try them all this summer, and let us know if we missed your favorite! And if you want the full list, find Seattle's wading pools and spray parks here; and Tacoma's here.
Seattle's spray parks open Memorial Day weekend.
- At Ballard Commons Park, kids can run through water jets set into the pavement. 5701 22nd Ave. N.W., Seattle
- A one-year-old Seattle spray park, Northacres Park, just off I-5 near Shoreline, is already a big draw, and for good reason. It also has a fantastic new two-part playground (for toddlers and older kids), hiking trails, a great hill to roll down and more. 12801 1st Ave N.E., Seattle.
South Seattle and Capitol Hill
- A new state-of-the-art water feature opened at Jefferson Park last summer -- part of Beacon Mountain, a new ecologically oriented playscape and many other awesome improvements to this wonderful park in Seattle's Beacon Hill neighborhood. 3901 Beacon Ave. S., Seattle
- The spray park at Lower Judkins in south Seattle looks like a park from The Flintstones. Combine with a visit to nearby NAAM, the Northwest African American Museum, to soak up some culture. 2150 S. Norman St., Seattle
- The Ron K. Bills Fountain at Miller Park features granite blocks that mark off the points of the compass and a small circular play space. 330 19th Ave. E., Seattle
- Pratt Park's popular spray park is located next to Langston Hughes Performing Arts Center in the Central District. 1800 S Main St., Seattle.
- Georgetown Playfield, notes one reader, boasts "a fenced area, lots of big shade trees, swings, play equipment and now the new spray park! The neighborhood loves it." 750 S Homer St., Seattle.
- John C. Little Park in south Seattle, near the New Holly development, is also home to a new spray feature, as well as picnic shelters and new paths. 6961 37th Ave S., Seattle
Downtown Seattle, Lake Union
- On sunny days, the International Fountain at Seattle Center crawls with kids who stand (usually screaming) under the fountain’s powerful water jets. 305 Harrison St., Seattle
- The fun spray feature at Lake Union Park is just one of the draws at this truly awesome public space. Kids can also explore boat-building at the Center for Wooden Boats, go to a story time on a tugboat (!) on select Thursdays, rent a boat, or hop on a streetcar for downtown destinations. 860 Terry Ave. N., Seattle
- The renovated spraypad at Highland Park in West Seattle is designated to open in June, 2013. It's situated in a cozy residential area with lots of big, shady trees and a fun play area. 1100 S.W. Cloverdale St., Seattle
- Crossroads Park’s water play area boasts tons of play space and interesting Northwest- themed spray features. 999 164th Ave. N.E., Bellevue. Note: The park will remain open during construction of the new Bellevue Youth Theatre, but expect some noise and blocked pathways.
- A favorite Eastside park, Grass Lawn Park in Redmond, also has a popular splash pad, as well as picnic areas galore, trails, fields and playgrounds. 7031 148 Ave N.E., Redmond
- Another popular park with a splash pad is the Sammamish Commons (behind the city hall), next to a play structure. Note: If you park in the city hall lot, it's a bit of a hike. 801 228th Ave S.E. Sammamish
- Lynnwood’s recently-renovated spray park is at Daleway Park, which also boasts a nature trail. 19015 64th Ave. W., Lynwood
- It's worth the drive to play in the giant “spray pad” at Willis D. Tucker Park in Snohomish. Watch out for the dragon soaker! 6705 Puget Park Dr., Snohomish
- The big draw at North Lynnwood Neighborhood Park’s older spray park is the large, mist-spraying green dragon. 18510 44th Ave. W., Lynnwood