Hey everyone, there is so much good stuff on deck for this weekend: We've got Star Wars fun, big truck inspections, orca games, cider-pressing and ways to celebrate Indigenous Peoples Day. Read on for all the ingredients you'll need to make your family fun plan.
- Partake in a family-friendly Oktoberfest celebration that includes a kids' kazoo parade (just show up), chicken dance and free family 5K run (Friday–Sunday).
- Don your best intergalactic garb and head to Star Wars Reads Day for activities, story time and the chance to meet Star Wars characters (Saturday).
- Join the celebrations — outdoor stuff is free and Sunday is kids' day — as an incredible revamped museum opens its doors (Saturday–Monday).
- Recognize Indigenous Peoples Day at the opening of a new kids' exhibit that showcases local Native cultures (Sunday).
Eastside and environs:
- Venture into the wild at twilight to discover what crepuscular creatures inhabit the park and what they're up to in the dark (Friday).
- Meet first responders and check out their rigs up-close, plus enjoy free hot cocoa at Truck-a-Palooza (Saturday).
- Learn about the language local orcas use to communicate, play some orca games and learn what you can do to help these neighbors survive (Sunday).
South Sound area:
- Dress in your costume, walk the star-lit paths and ride the tram listening for hoots and howls at fantastic Northwest Trek (Friday–Saturday).
- Press apples into cider, snack on a caramel apple and tour a historic mansion at a family cider squeeze (Saturday).
- Head to this small-town harvest fest for the Pumpkin Pals Parade (wear a pumpkin-themed costume to join in), bouncy houses, live music and more family fun (Saturday).
- Wear your costume, get free comics, play board games and enjoy geeky story time at free, family-friendly Tacoma-Con (Saturday).
- Fort Steilacoom Park hosts trucks, tractors and pumpkins and welcomes all kids who love them; don't miss this big rig bonanza (Saturday).
More ideas for weekend fun:
- Find the perfect spot to pick apples right off the tree and pluck your pumpkin right out of the patch.
- Find the just-right level of fright for your fam in our guide to scary and unscary haunted attractions.
- Be a salmon supporter at these salmon-spotting spots around town. Go, salmon!
- Friday is a day off school for some and looks to be sunny and beautiful: head for the hills on a lovely fall family hike.
- Bookmark our family fun calendar for great activities happening every day of the week.
Family fun, direct to your inbox!
Sign up for ParentMap's eNews and receive this round-up of the weekend's best family adventures in your inbox every Thursday. Join us!