We're nearly through January — wow! We are still marching toward our high hopes for 2021, but they can't come soon enough. We've got to keep wearing our masks, keep sticking with our own households and remember that the end will soon come into view. Gather your fam and dig into some family fun this weekend. We've rounded up some great ideas here. Have a good one.
10 ideas for family fun this weekend and beyond:
- Bellevue Collection's Lunar New Year craft free kit pick-up was extended; swing by to get yours for online craft demos (through Saturday).
- It's the last weekend to try out the bedtime-friendly winter drive-in; catch "The Goonies" or the 1994 version of "The Lion King" (Friday–Saturday).
- Forget Punxsutawney Phil. Here in the Puget Sound area, we get our frognostication for spring from a frog called Snohomish Slew; tune in virtually to see what he says (Saturday).
- Stop by Bellevue Arts Museum for free, no-contact pick-up of a wintertime craft kit designed for ages 4–10 (Saturday).
- Gather your D&D-loving crew around the computer for a free, high-octane virtual performance of "She Kills Monsters," a play saluting the geeks and warriors in all of us (Saturday).
- Kids, dress in your pjs or comfy clothes and start your Sunday learning circus movements at home — accompanied by a stuffed animal pal (Sunday).
- Learn about eclipses and peer into space from the Goldendale Observatory — right from your couch (Sunday).
- Play eagle bingo as part of the virtual Arlington-Stillaguamish Eagle Festival, or you can venture out on your own to viewing spots where you can spot the eagles in real life (through Feb. 13).
- Head to a local greenspace and use the iNaturalist app to try your hand at the awesomely named Fir Sticks-A-Lot nature scavenger hunt (through Feb. 28).
- Mask up and explore South Lake Union on a neighborhood scavenger hunt to find evidence of civic action that shaped our community (ongoing).
More anytime-fun ideas:
- Ring in the Year of the Ox with virtual celebrations and activities for families around Seattle.
- Tour the globe right here in Seattle by filling your bellies with warm and flavorful international cuisine from Spice Bridge Food Hall.
- Explore the fairy forest and check out other enchanting features at a hidden-gem local garden.
- It's snowing in them thar hills and the Mount Rainier snow play area is open! Plan carefully and head to the snow to go sledding or tubing.
- If screens have taken over your kids' brains, consider aiming for 1000 hours outside in 2021, a lofty but healthy goal.
Our family fun calendar features great virtual events alongside in-person events! There are plenty of engaging activities to fill your days with fun. If you do go out, please stay safe — which includes mandatory wearing of face coverings in public spaces.
Family fun, direct to your inbox!
Sign up for ParentMap's eNews and receive this round-up of the weekend's best family adventures in your inbox every Thursday. Join us!