Try a new sport, visit a farm stand, climb on a big truck, buzz with bees and find your family fun for this pre-eclipse-mania summer weekend. Stay cool as cucumbers with these picks.
- Stop by the park for kids' activities, face-painting and to try out the new playground during the Tukwila Kids' Festival (Friday).
- Big rigs roll into Farrel-McWhirter Park so kids can climb on for an up-close look (Friday).
- Join the community of Snoqualmie for Railroad Days and celebrate trains, timber and tradition (Friday–Sunday).
- Turn up for a salmon bake, canoe races, baseball tournament, drumming and dancing at Suquamish's Chief Seattle Days festival (Friday–Sunday).
- Get moving with your friends and fam at Big Day of Play, trying out pickleball, roller derby, sepak takraw and lots more, all free (Saturday).
- Shoreline pulls out all the stops for its summer festival with a sandcastle contest, bouncy houses, kindie bands, car show and more (Friday–Sunday).
- Chomp your way through the farm-fresh fare, tiny house models and upcycled goods at a free local green-living fest (Saturday).
- Try out canoeing, kayaking or stand-up paddle boarding at Green Lake's Summer Splash event (Saturday).
- Exciting Bollywood dance and martial arts demos, among other performances, entertain all ages at Sammamish Days (Saturday).
- Get buzzy with free kids' bee and pollinator activities at the Bee Garden (Saturday).
- If your kids are fans of American Ninja Warrior, sign them up for a go on this kid-sized obstacle challenge (Saturday).
- Watch as world-renowned chalk artists color the streets and walkways of Redmond Town Center (Saturday–Sunday).
- Fuel up on Swedish pancakes or aebleskiver (thank me later) and channel your inner Viking at this annual fest in Ballard (Saturday–Sunday).
- Samba, capoeira and traditions of Brazil take over Seattle Center during Brasilfest (Sunday).
- Relax and enjoy free outdoor music and dance performances in the lovely surroundings of Discovery Park (Sunday).
If you're running out of summer ideas, check our list of 58 free or cheap things to do for a whole passel of 'em. These parks are great for kids and dogs, this new playground is extra cool and for a change of scenery, find a new playground on our list of 101 parks and playgrounds. Head for the hills for a family hike or stay in town and try a family bike ride.
Plus, check out our full family fun calendar for more activities every day of the week.
Want more family fun?
Sign up for ParentMap's enews and receive this round-up of the weekend's best family adventures in your inbox every Thursday.