If your ideal fall day is curling up on the couch with a book and a blanket, sorry. With this unbelievable weather, we gotta get outside! I mean, when have there ever been so many sunny weekends for the family trip to the pumpkin patch? Book-and-blanket weather will come soon enough. In the meantime, here are our best picks for weekend family fun. Enjoy!
- Show off your costume and take a hay ride at a family-focused community Halloween Haunt in the park (Friday).
- If zipping through the trees isn't thrilling enough, try it in the spooky darkness of the woods at night (Friday–Saturday).
- Dress in your costume, walk the star-lit paths and ride the tram listening for hoots and howls at fantastic Northwest Trek (Friday–Saturday).
- Around here we don't go bananas, we go apples! Try the apple press, pick out a pumpkin and find more fun at Issaquah's celebration of our finest local fruit (Saturday).
- New baby? New car seat or booster? Rest easy knowing your crew is safe with a free car seat safety check at Seattle Children's (Saturday).
- You have to preregister your kid for this, and it's a hair spendy, but when else will they get to paint with chickens?? (Saturday).
- Engage with the culture of India through performances, kids' activities and tasty food for purchase at Seattle Center's free community Diwali festival (Saturday).
- Go old-school with the kids and stop by iconic local video store Scarecrow Video for International Independent Video Store Day (Saturday).
- Wear your best costume for the costume contest, then dive for pumpkins in the "floating" pumpkin patch (Satuday).
- Head to this hidden gem of a garden to marvel at the amazing fall colors, buy a treat or pumpkin and take a family photo; admission is free (opening Saturday).
- Two local railroads offer seasonal experiences for families: Hop on the Halloween storytelling train or try the Great Pumpkin Patch Express (Saturday–Sunday).
- March through the Market then join a lively kids' dance party with music by the Not-Its! Donations appreciated at this all-welcome fundraiser for Pike Place Market's child care (Sunday).
- Wrestle Petunia into her costume — or just show up to see all the doggies and other pets parade in their Halloween finest (Sunday).
- This terrific neighborhood fall festival features pumpkins, ponies, fire trucks and lots more family fun (Sunday).
- Learn how the forest is a master at recycling and inspect this process in progress on a free family nature program (Sunday).
- Snag a remaining ticket to join a gun safety conversation with Parkland shooting survivors and hear about the new book by March for Our Lives founders (Sunday).
More ideas to get outside: New parks! Fall color hikes for families! Places to spot spawning salmon! Got your fill of sun? Try one of these terrific family-friendly exhibits for fall, or catch a budget screening of a cult-classic movie. And don't forget, our family fun calendar has dozens of great activities for every day of the week.
Want more family fun?
Sign up for ParentMap's eNews and receive this round-up of the weekend's best family adventures in your inbox every Thursday. Try it!