Hey, northwest families! This weekend's happenings include great all-ages volunteering opportunities; the chance to hang out with spiders or snakes; joyful — and thought-provoking — family shows; and lots more, including a bounty of fall harvest fests. It must be October! See you out there (but not at the reptile expo).
- Get your tix for colorful, ebullient "Aladdin" at the Paramount (Oct. 12–29).
- Go on a tot-sized hunt for cool creepy crawlies and critters in the park (Friday).
- Learn to be bold from a free play starring Scaredy Squirrel (Friday).
- Sign up to zip through the woods on spooky zip line tour — on Friday the thirteenth, if you dare (Friday–Saturday).
- A tractor-full of harvest fests with pumpkins, animals, hay rides and more are on this weekend; find one to suit your crew (Friday–Sunday).
- Gather your family for a moving history lesson at the musical "I Never Saw Another Butterfly" (Oct. 13–29.)
- Spend a few hours planting trees with your family and feel great doing it (Saturday).
- Pick apples in a local park to benefit community food programs (Saturday).
- Explore nature with your fam — and study some ducks — in the wilds of Magnuson Park (Saturday).
- It's your penultimate chance this season to ride this nifty mini train (Saturday).
- Sing and dance along with hometown kindie star Caspar Babypants (Saturday).
- Cozy up with some reptiles and other wild critters at this animal show (Saturday–Sunday).
- Spawning salmon are taking an arduous journey; turn up to support them (Saturday–Sunday).
- Family fungi fun reigns at this mushroom show; bring your finds for identification (Sunday).
- Make your own putty for free with a guy named Crazy Aaron? We're in (Sunday).
Consult our essential pumpkin patch guide if you don't yet have a porch full of pumpkins, or pick a peck of tasty apples at a local U-pick apple orchard. Gather your courage to brave one of these zombie-rrific haunted houses; less scary options included. Sunday looks like a great day to head out on kid-friendly fall color hike, or use your eagle eyes to spot some spawning salmon in a local stream. Plus, don't miss our full family fun calendar for more great activities every day of the week.
Want more family fun?
Sign up for ParentMap's enews and receive this round-up of the weekend's best family adventures in your inbox every Thursday. Join us!