Spring is the perfect time to have a new family adventure, from a new indoor play spot, to biking fun and hidden-gem hikes. Here are our best ideas; also check out our calendar for more spring fun.
Outdoor fun and neighborhood explores
- Paint a rock and hide it. It's the new low-tech trend to get kids outside.
- Take a tulip trip. It's time! A veteran tulip-er shares secrets.
- Go wild at Wolf Haven. Bring your pack to this extraordinary sanctuary in Tenino.
- Test limits at an adventurous playground. These are the region's best.
- Soak up the view. On a sunny day, these hidden-gem playgrounds are where you'll all want to be.
- Get to know Redmond. Find delish ice cream at Molly Moon's, gaming spots, bike trails and much more family fun in this geek-chic city.
- Spin your wheels on a family bike ride. These bike paths and routes are (generally) low-traffic and flat, perfect for families.
- Roll on over to a roller rink. Tip: If you live in Seattle, the Friday night skate at Bitter Lake Community Center Annex is a perfect intro.
- Go on a rainproof spring hike. Here are 10 kid-tested lowland hikes that combine trails with an indoor nature center where you can explore more.
Exhibits and indoor play
- Get inspired by Rube Goldberg. Your mini inventors will be enthralled by the MoPop exhibit about the iconic artist.
- Dig into Terracotta Warriors. The blockbuster exhibit at Pacific Science Center is epic and mysterious.
- Book it to a destination library. Find out which is shaped like a boat, which has a rooftop garden and which offers you a view of salmon swimming underneath it.
- Play in Rat City. New play spaces and the state's first bike playground beckon families to White Center.
- Explore a kid-friendly museum. They exist, and many have free art spaces!
- Find another new play spot. Our epic rainy-day list has more than 60 indoor play locations.
- Explore IKEA. The newly opened mega store in Renton has more play spaces; read our tips before you go.
- Book a rustic retreat. Yurts are the new pup tent, and waaaay more comfortable.
- Mission: Hotel with a swimming pool. Book one of these pool-centric hotels and your kids will have a blast.
- Book a farm-fresh getaway. Miniature horses, chickens, chores, oh my!
Editor's note: This article is updated every year and has been updated for spring 2017.