A boy holding a flag watches a past Auburn's Veterans Day Parade (this year the parade will be a vehicle procession). Credit: JSSWA Washington National Guard/Flickr CC
We owe our thanks to the thousands of men and women in our communities who serve or have served our country in the military. In honor of Veterans Day on Wednesday, Nov. 11, 2020, we've rounded up local and national events — both virtual and in-real-life — where families can pay tribute to our veterans.
Ceremonies and events
- Auburn isn't able to host its famous Veterans Day parade this year, but the city will still salute our veterans during several events over five days (Nov. 7–11). The main event will be a Veterans Vehicle Procession (Nov. 7), where spectators can line the streets in support, as long as they're masked up and keep their distance from others. Click the link for details on additional events (Nov. 7–11; free).
- Tune in to watch Arlington National Cemetery's moving virtual Veterans Day observance, honoring all those who serve and have served our nation (Wednesday, Nov. 11, 8 a.m.; free).
- Travel virtually to the Wall at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington, D.C. to pay tribute to our veterans with a virtual ceremony (Wednesday, Nov. 11, 10 a.m.; free).
- Hop in your car and join the community of Mill Creek to drive by military memoribilia on display, viewable from your car (Wednesday, Nov. 11, 10:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.; free).
- Hear the story of a brave African American in the Navy during WWII during a special virtual Veterans Day Commemoration by the Washington State History Museum (Wednesday, Nov. 11, 1 p.m.; free).
- Tune in to the Museum of Flight's virtual Veterans Day celebration, featuring a keynote address by World War II veteran and B-17 pilot Dick Nelms (Wednesday, Nov. 11, 6–7:30 p.m.; free).
- The City of Shoreline will observe the holiday virtually this year with a ceremony honoring military service, viewable all day on its YouTube channel (Wednesday, Nov. 11; free).
Discounts and deals for all
- Everyone can enjoy free access to our country's amazing national parks on Veterans Day (Wednesday, Nov. 11; free).
- Our fantastic state parks honor the military, too, with free access for everyone on Veterans Day; no Discover Pass is required to park (Wednesday, Nov. 11; free).
Discounts and deals for veterans and military
- Local restaurant chain Ivar's offers a tasty thank-you to service members: a free entree for active military and veterans, with ID (Wednesday, Nov. 11).
- Veterans with ID enjoy a burger and fries on the house at participating Red Robin restaurants (Wednesday, Nov. 11).
- Veterans and current service members can pull up to one of Brown Bear Car Wash's tunnel locations and get a free car wash on Veterans Day; for others who get their car washed, Brown Bear will donate $1 to Puget Sound Honor Flight (Wednesday, Nov. 11).