Spectators line the route of Auburn's 2014 Veterans Day Parade. Credit: JSSWA Washington National Guard via Flickr CC
We owe our thanks to the thousands of men and women in our communities who serve or have served our country in the military. In honor of Veterans Day on Monday, Nov. 11, 2019, we've rounded up local events where families can pay tribute to our veterans. Plus, we've got a few discounts and deals for everyone, and several more just for for military and veterans.
Ceremonies and events
- The city of Auburn hosts a Veterans Day Parade and Observance, one of the largest in the western United States, honoring military and veterans. It's also an opportunity for families to see honor guards, military vehicles, veterans' units and high school marching bands (Saturday, Nov. 9; free).
- Explore the history of female service members with a special Veterans Day Commemoration at the Washington State History Museum. Admission is free for veterans (with ID) and up to five family members (Sunday, Nov. 10; included with admission for general public).
- Join the community of Mill Creek in a ceremony honoring veterans and military from near and far with a ceremony at 9 a.m. and a parade at 11 a.m. (Monday, Nov. 11; free).
- The city of Arlington invites the community to line its downtown parade route and honor active and former military service members (Monday, Nov. 11; free).
- Join the Museum of Flight in honoring military and veterans in a ceremony that includes a musical performance by the Boeing Employees Concert Band, a color guard, a keynote speaker and more. Admission is free for active and retired military (Monday, Nov. 11; included with admission for general public).
- All are to invited pay tribute to local veterans at a Veterans Day Remembrance Ceremony at Tacoma's War Memorial Park (Monday, Nov. 11; free).
- Veterans, family and friends and all supporters are invited to a short ceremony honoring military service, followed by refreshments, at Shoreline's City Hall (Monday, Nov. 11; free).
- Celebrate and honor our veterans with music! Come to the Everett Veterans Day Celebration to enjoy musical performances by veterans, group music-making activities, drum circles and an arts and crafts station for the kids (Monday, Nov. 11; free).
Discounts and deals for all
- Highland Ice Arena in Shoreline honors service members with free ice skating for everyone; skate rental is available for $4 (Monday, Nov. 11).
- Everyone can enjoy free access to our country's amazing national parks on Veterans Day (Monday, Nov. 11; free).
- Our fantastic state parks honor military, too, with free access for everyone on Veterans Day; no Discover Pass is required to park (Monday, Nov. 11; free).
Discounts and deals for veterans and military
- Veterans and active military receive free admission to Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium, and immediate family members pay half-price admission (Saturday–Monday, Nov. 9–11).
- Veterans and active military receive free admission to Northwest Trek Wildlife Park in Eatonville, and their immediate family members pay half-price admission (Saturday–Monday, Nov. 9–11).
- Fort Nisqually Living History Museum offers half-off admission for all active and former military persons with military ID (Saturday–Sunday, Nov. 9–10).
- Woodland Park Zoo salutes veterans and active military with free admission for current and former service members and spouses, plus discounted admission for up to four family members (Monday, Nov. 11).
- Everett's Imagine Children's Museum welcomes veterans for free and all visitors can add a brick to the "Wall of Thanks" to honor military service members; ceremony at noon (Monday, Nov. 11).
- Local restaurant Ivar's is offering a tasty thank-you to service members: a free entree for active military and veterans, with ID (Monday, Nov. 11).
- Menchie's Frozen Yogurt is showing thanks by offering free frozen yogurt to all veterans and active duty military with proof of service (Monday, Nov. 11).
- Veterans with ID enjoy a burger and fries on the house at participating Red Robin restaurants (Monday, Nov. 11).
- Veterans and current service members can pull up to one of Brown Bear Car Wash's tunnel locations and get a free car wash on Veterans Day; for others who get their car washed, Brown Bear will donate $1 to Puget Sound Honor Flight (Monday, Nov. 11).