Bonus: sensory garden and more playgrounds
The city recently put the final touches on this project next to the zoo’s Rose Garden. It's a fully accessible, welcoming delight for all the senses, with elements that stimulate sight, touch, smell and sound. Fragrant plantings with diverse textures, braille signage and cool sprays of water are just a few of the garden’s sensory-rich design features.
Find it: 700 N. 50th St., Seattle
More playgrounds for your adventures
- These amazing playgrounds are our region's latest: best new playgrounds of 2019.
- These playground gems opened in 2018.
- Swing high and zip fast at these most adventurous playgrounds.
- Never mind the weather at these best rainy-day parks and playgrounds.
- Take in the scenery at these playgrounds with a beautiful view.
Editor's note: This article was originally published in 2017 and updated most recently for 2020.