DIY Chicken Gyros
Planning meals for picky eaters can be tricky. Fortunately, this DIY Chicken Gyro is an easy, healthy and customizable weeknight dinner that can appease the whole family. In the fourth Kitchen Magic video, siblings Riley (age 15) and Tommy (age 13) help Chef Joel make Greek chicken pita sandwiches.
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 pita breads
- Red cabbage, shaved thin
- Cherry tomatoes, halved
- Crumbled feta cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Cucumbers, sliced
- Red onions, thinly sliced
- Pickles, sliced
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground chicken with the spices and the garlic.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Take a handful of the chicken mixture and press it onto a pita bread round, spreading it evenly to cover the surface. Repeat with the remaining meat mixture and pita bread rounds.
- Carefully place the pitas meat-side down onto the skillet and cook for about 4-6 minutes on each side, or until the meat is cooked through and browned. You can use a spatula to gently press the meat onto the pita as it cooks to ensure it adheres well.
- While the chicken is cooking, you can prepare your optional toppings.
- Warm the pita bread rounds either in a microwave or by lightly toasting them in a dry skillet for a minute on each side.
- Assemble your chicken gyros by folding the cooked gyros around your favorite toppings.