More reads from Houzz
Amid the hustle and bustle of everyday life, it’s easy to lose track of what’s really important. Oftentimes, that’s your close family members — spouses, partners, children, parents, grandparents, grandchildren — with whom you charge through life’s ups and downs.
When times get tough, sometimes you need something that helps realign your family unit, perhaps a common refrain that quickly puts everything back into perspective. I’m talking about a motto. For Rosalía del Río, who shares a house in northern Spain with eight family members that span several generations, a constant refrain is: “Party, party, party. You are not allowed to come to this house without a bottle of wine — we won’t let you in.”
We gathered 25 other family mottoes — quirky and serious — from a recent discussion with our community.
- Always tell the truth — so you don't have to remember what you said.
- Be a trooper.
- Danger lurks ahead — let's go!
- Do what you can with what you have.
- Don't be seen. Don't be heard. Don't be caught.
- Everything happens for a reason.
- Expect the best, prepare for the worst.
- Go lie down.
- Gotta-do's before wanna-do's.
- I could eat.
- If Mama ain't happy, nobody's happy.
- If you don't think it can be done, you haven't thought about it long enough.
- It'll be fun, it won't cost too much and I'm sure it won't take too long.
- Let me be a blessing to someone today.
- No trips to the emergency room!
- Often crazy, seldom lazy.
- Often wrong, but never in doubt.
- On to the next disaster!
- One can never have too many gym socks!
- People, not things.
- Something will turn up.
- The harder you work, the luckier you get.
- Work hard, play hard.
- Whoever cares the most, wins.
- Thou shalt not whine.