The drizzle is coming so we've rounded up a bucketful of mostly indoor family fun ideas for you below. But you can't stay inside all weekend, so suit up for raindrops and head out. May we suggest a rainy-day playground or an in-town nature wander? And hot cocoa afterwards, of course. Enjoy!
- Sip cocoa, snack on cookies and admire the fanciful holiday train display at this free conservatory open house for families (Friday).
- Craft a lantern and take in the traditions of Diwali at SAM's free family day celebrating India's joyful festival of lights (Saturday).
- Drizzle coming down? Pop into the Seattle Armory for a free family magic show, with two showtimes to choose from (Saturday).
- DIY science zone! Gaming! Speaker panels! Wear your costume! It's time for GeekGirlCon (Saturday–Sunday).
Eastside and environs:
- Oh no! The Gingerbread Man has escaped from granny's kitchen — find out what happens next in this free puppet show for tots (Friday, Sunday).
- Get crafting building a balloon-powered mini hot rod in an art-inspired workshop for kids (Saturday).
- Don your princess or snowman costume and come ready to belt it out at a family “Frozen” sing-along (Saturday).
- Who are we to say it seems kinda early? Turn up for Santa, elves, tree-lighting and a laser show that promises to amaze (Saturday).
South Sound area:
- Play with dead bugs! Well, you can keep a safe distance while the kids go on a free insect safari (Saturday).
- Celebrate the chum returning to Donkey Creek with some fish-tastic crafts and activities, including fish-printing, sea creatures, walking tours and dragon boat races (Saturday).
- Learn about fascinating squid, inspecting some live ones and dissecting some dead ones at Squid-A-Rama (Saturday).
- Welcome back Donder and Blitzen for their annual stint greeting visitors at Watson's Greenhouse (ongoing).
Marvel at the talents and antics of the always-amazing Harlem Globetrotters, putting on their show at arenas up and down the Sound (Friday–Monday).
More ideas for weekend fun:
- Revel in Minecraft mania at a world-premiere exhibit at Seattle's MoPop.
- Get your glide on at the seasonal ice rink opening for skating this weekend.
- Witness science in action at a brand-new, super kid-friendly local museum.
- Test drive someone else's Lego at family-fun Lego play spots around town.
- Our fantastic fall family bucket list features so many fun things to do you better get started right now.
- Bookmark our family fun calendar for great activities happening every day of the week.
Family fun, direct to your inbox!
Sign up for ParentMap's eNews and receive this round-up of the weekend's best family adventures in your inbox every Thursday. Join us!