Happy Lunar New Year and welcome to the Year of the Dog. It's a great weekend to check out these fun spots in Seattle's International District or scoot down to Tacoma if you love a really good scavenger hunt (tip: it only happens around Lunar New Year). Monday's a day off for some and it'd be a good day to meet a bison or a clever octopus, or count some feathered friends in your yard. Read on for more great ideas for long-weekend family fun.
- Hop onto Facebook for a live chat on keeping calm through common parenting challenges (Friday).
- Discover the secrets of a incredible, 5,000-year-old peat bog (Friday).
- Be among the first to get a scoop from an innovative new ice cream shop (opening Friday).
- Show your kids all the great toys you had in the 70s and 80s at an interactive new exhibit at the Washington State History Museum (opening Friday).
- Be a citizen scientist from your own backyard or neighborhood. So cool! (Friday–Monday).
- Eat a cake pop in celebration of a sweet orangutan's record-breaking milestone birthday (Saturday).
- Gather up books from your shelves and swap them for great new-to-you reads (Saturday).
- Swimming? Candy? It's a sweet combination for families (Saturday).
- Tag along with favorite character Junie B. Jones as she discovers all the surprises of first grade (Saturday–Sunday).
- Save a bundle taking your kids to our region's awesome open-range animal park to touch the fur of a wolf and get close to local wildlife (Saturday–Monday).
- Don't eat these guys, they're way too cool; learn all about their lives and characteristics instead (Feb. 17–25).
- Celebrate Purim in the park with stories, crafts and characters (Sunday).
Watch for a sun break and test out this cool new playground, or get the wiggles out indoors at a clean, new play space. Plan a special date with your special kid or venture out on nature's flying scavenger hunt. Mark your calendar for these cool cons to attend with your kids. And don't forget, our family fun calendar has tons of great activities for every day of the week.
Want more family fun?
Sign up for ParentMap's enews and receive this round-up of the weekend's best family adventures in your inbox every Thursday. Try it!