This park offers slip-sliding fun with a fantastic view. Credit: JiaYing Grygiel
Friends, after 7 years of writing this column, it’s time for me to sign off. I’ve tried my best to bring you ideas for your weekend plans, fun ways to seek adventure and opportunities for community connection. Here are my last recs before I hand things off: For things to do this weekend, consider the intriguing new Seattle Christmas Market or find a holiday show that suits your crew. Along with our top 10 weekend event picks and a sneaky workout at the playground of the week, you’ve got the makings of a great weekend. All the best to you.
10 things to do this weekend in Seattle and beyond:
- The Gates Foundation Discovery Center’s Giving Marketplace offers up a win-win-win: Shop for handmade gifts, enjoy live music and find inspiration to take action on global issues (Friday–Saturday).
- Meet real-live reindeer, hobnob with Santa and play in real snow — without driving to the mountains (Friday–Sunday).
- Celebrate Hanukkah with crafts and games at Hands On Hanukkah sessions around town; contact the Stroum Jewish Community Center for dates and locations (starting Friday).
- It’s a December tradition for so many families! Cavort with the cousins of Santa’s reindeer crew at the Issaquah Reindeer Festival (opening Friday).
- Free festive light shows will turn on their sparkle this weekend, stop by a park in Renton, Everett’s arboretum or Redmond’s Downtown Park (opening Friday).
- Head to the fairgrounds to find holiday magic such as mini golf, Santa’s express train ride, ice skating and a gnome scavenger hunt (opening Friday).
- The beloved Kindiependent family concert series is back! Be there to rock out when Brian Vogan and his Good Buddies kick things off (Saturday).
- Experience a true old-fashioned Christmas at historic Fort Nisqually with activities and a photo op with a traditional St. Nick (Saturday).
- Bring your furry family member for a free photo with Santa at the park; there will be snacks for pooches and humans, too (Saturday).
- Stroll a local park’s paths lined with beautiful luminaria to experience light in the darkness and community connection (Saturday).
More any-time outings:
- Make your weekend really dazzle with a visit to a sparkling holiday light display.
- Stretch your holiday dollars with all kinds of fabulous seasonal outings that won’t cost you a dime.
- Potterheads in your house? You’ll want to apparate over to this magical new interactive Harry Potter experience.
- From Nutcrackers to nutty sendups to enchanting concerts and plays, check out our December arts guide.
Our family fun calendar features great community events — every day of the year!
Family fun, direct to your inbox!
Sign up for ParentMap’s eNews to receive this roundup of the weekend’s best family adventures in your inbox every Thursday. Don’t miss it!