We are soaking up the vitamin D over here at ParentMap HQ, and loving it! If your schedule allows, we hope you are, too. Right now it's looking like we've got some sun through Saturday. Plan your outdoor and indoor family fun here with our top picks for this weekend — we've got art-making, pancakes, cat videos and so much more. Let's get to it!
- Get warmed up for the upcoming Children's Film Festival Seattle by watching the best shorts of last year's film fest, free at the library (Friday–Saturday).
- Gather with the community to chow down on pancakes in support of Rainier Community Center (Saturday).
- Bring some cardboard supplies and help build a community marble run at a free family day at the Olympic Sculpture Park (Saturday).
- Join a free, festive day for families of art-making, tours and live music performances at the enchanting Frye Art Museum (Saturday).
- Support local kitties and laugh 'til you cry at the kitty-cat antics shown at Cat Video Fest (Saturday–Sunday).
Eastside and environs:
- Stop by the library for captivating African American folktales told by a talented storyteller (Friday, Sunday).
- Music-loving families will dig the tunes of Day of the Accordion acts playing Crossroads' Market Stage all weekend (Friday–Sunday).
- Bring the fam for free, STEAM-focused art-making activities, using recycled materials (Saturday).
- Explore the environment around Brightwater and draw on it to inspire your stories, comics or haikus at Storms, Stories and Scribbles (Saturday).
- Cross your fingers for sun and get out into the woods to look for signs of spring on a free, all-welcome walk with a ranger (Saturday).
South Sound area:
- Try out the scavenger hunt and other kids' activities during discounted school break days at the White River Valley Museum (through Sunday).
- Join a free Black History Celebration highlighting the culture and achievements of our local African-American community (Friday).
- Discover fantastic schools, camps and resources for families at ParentMap's free South Sound fair; bring the kids along for special activities (Saturday).
- Hop along to Old Town's historic cabin for the first kids' craft session of the season (Saturday).
- Invent your very own magical creature to star in your stories; take inspiration from Zoey and Sassafras books at this free library workshop (Saturday).
More ideas for fun:
- OMG! It's sunny! Get busy with our list of mid-winter break outing ideas for families.
- Hit the play button at some fabulous playgrounds; all the best ones that opened this past year.
- Plan a sweet parent-kid date with these fun ideas, from pinball to rollerskating.
- Bust up tired tropes with fresh takes on old fairy tales: “Frozen,” “Snow White” and “Bliss.”
- Bookmark our family fun calendar for great activities happening every day of the week.
Family fun, direct to your inbox!
Sign up for ParentMap's eNews and receive this round-up of the weekend's best family adventures in your inbox every Thursday. Join us!