The Weekender: Seattle Activities for Kids and Families, March 24-25
1. Ready to get your puddle-jumpers out of the house and go on a spring hike? We've got 7 ideas for how you can go wild in the city. Or stay home -- we've got 15 ideas for fun crafts to do in your own garden.
2. Speaking of going wild, Saturday sounds like it will be a great day for a Family Bird Walk at Seward Park (Saturday, 1-2:30 p.m.), or its Tales & Trails program especially for preschoolers (Saturday, 10-11 a.m.).
3. Learn about all things amphibian at Tacoma Nature Center's free Frog Fest (Saturday, 1-3 p.m.), with a froggy obstacle course, crafts and the chance to search for amphibian egg masses in Snake Lake.
4. Have a girl who's interested in aviation? Sign her up for a free 20-minute plane ride at Saturday's Fly it Forward event, an aviation career fair at Renton Technical Airport (10 a.m.-2 p.m.).
5. Get a jumpstart on summer by sorting through camp options at CampFair in Shoreline (Saturday, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.). Over 60 leading camp organizations are participating.
6. Take your toddler to a carnival just for him in Redmond (Saturday 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m.), with activities like face painting, a bean bag toss, and fire truck.
7. Rock out with Gustafer Yellowgold's multimedia show at Town Hall Seattle (Saturday, noon).
8. It's the Monorail's 50th birthday! Help celebrate by heading down to Seattle Center for tours, rides, an opportunity to draw in the commemorative coloring book from 1962, and a fun Monorail-themed Lego workshop at the Children's Museum (Saturday, 8:30 a.m.-3 p.m.).
10. Does your family know all the words to The Sound of Music? Yodel along with the classic film -- at the much-loved sing-a-long at Meydenbauer Center on Saturday (7 p.m.) and Sunday (2 p.m.). Or in Renton, you can attend a similarly interactive Princess Bride quote-a-long (Saturday, 7 p.m.).
11. Get inspired by the hard-working middle schoolers at the Annual King County/Snohomish Spelling Bee, aka a "rock concert of literacy." (Sunday, free, 1-3 p.m., Town Hall Seattle).Google+