Are you a Super Star Advertising and Partnership Sales Representative?
ParentMap is a Northwest media company providing highly relevant, well-researched and entertaining content to parents through various integrated publishing channels: our award-winning news magazine; ParentMap.com, the Puget Sound area’s leading website for parents and caregivers; and our annual series of lectures and community events.
ParentMap is seeking one creative, optimistic and tenacious Sales Representative for the South Sound area. This position is part-time, work from home during business hours with frequent in-person client meetings and weekly team meetings in Seattle or Mercer Island. Work part-time from the cozy desk in your home office. Are you energetic, amazingly organized, able to work independently but a team player and of course, great at closing a deal? We’re growing and looking for you to join our great family-friendly company!
- Candidate must be a proven sales executive with sales experience (preferably advertising sales in digital, print, radio, or television) to join our media family.
- Apply now if you are a candidate with a competitive spirit who wants to succeed. You’re a great candidate if you are a highly motivated self-starter with a successful sales account management history of growing relationships with your customers, have a solid marketing background, sparkling personality and are extremely organized.
- Candidate must have a great track record of prospecting for new business as well as renewing existing accounts at a high percentage. The right candidate will have the ability to establish rapport quickly, has a history of meeting with decision makers and closing deals in a short sales cycle, and is skilled at using a CRM system.
- Candidate should be highly motivated in commission based selling with the ability to exceed established goals while generating high client satisfaction.
- Candidate demonstrates proficiency with Microsoft Word and Excel and preferred to have had experience with Google Drive and Google Docs.
This part-time position hours are flexible, mainly during business hours with occasional weekend or weeknight events. Frequent in person client meetings and weekly team meetings in Seattle or Mercer Island are required. Candidates residing in the South Sound area preferred.
Reports to: Publisher
FLSA Status: Exempt
Job Status: Flexible, Part-Time 30 hours/ week
Compensation: Compensation based on experience.
Job location: Work-from-home position, with frequent in person client meetings as well as weekly required meetings in Seattle or Mercer Island.
To Apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com, with Sales Executive Job in the subject line.
ParentMap, a dynamic Seattle-area media company with a magazine readership of more than 200,000 and a monthly reach of more than 1.7 million, is looking for an experienced, full-time managing editor.
The ideal candidate should have a strong background in print and online journalism (both editing and writing); experience managing an editorial team; and a talent for developing the spot-on mix of fun, useful and newsy content and related products that our audience of uber-busy parents wants and needs.
In short, we want someone who is poised to build on ParentMap’s strengths to advance the magazine and website to a new level of excellence.
The candidate should live in the Puget Sound region and be available for frequent in-person meetings around Seattle. This role will include, but is not limited to, the following responsibilities:
- Managing all editorial channels for ParentMap, including daily digital content and monthly print magazine
- Lead editorial team in creating and maintaining the brand and voice of the magazine across all channels (print, eNewsletters, digital, social)
- Lead editorial team in all aspects of creating and driving annual editorial calendar across all channels, with a balanced mix of high-performing content that includes groundbreaking feature stories, top parenting news, the most awesome local outings and travel, and sponsored content
- Lead editorial team in vetting pitches and making assignments and building/nurturing an excellent team of freelance writers
- Ensure the integrity and success of all ParentMap content
- Lead content strategy and community engagement
- Lead editorial team to develop new editorial products that map to ParentMap’s overarching business and editorial goals
- Track and analyze success of content using metrics tools, and lead the team in making adjustments based on impact, goals and ROI
- Establish and nurture relationships with community partners, leaders and organizations to further the brand and strengthen our relationships with readers and partners
- Participate in ParentMap’s leadership team, including helping setting annual business and editorial goals and budgets
- Manage a small team of full- and part-time editors and editorial staff in all facets of their work
- Collaborate across multiple teams, including Sales and Marketing, to develop new products and partnerships
- Lead efforts to recruit, nurture and maintain an excellent cohort of freelance writers (and other contractors, such as photographers) who contribute to ParentMap
Required skills and experience
A managing editor candidate needs to be talented, creative, enthusiastic, organized, innovative and bring new ideas in the parenting and family space. Specific skills required include:
- B.A. in journalism or related field, or equivalent experience
- At least five years experience in news or magazine editing, as well as several years experience in news or magazine writing; as well as experience developing new editorial products
- Demonstrated ability to manage an editorial department, including staff editors and freelancers
- Familiarity with online metrics and tools (eg, Google Analytics) to analyze content performance
- Demonstrated ability to dream up, develop and execute new editorial products that directly map to ParentMap’s overarching business and editorial goals
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in a virtual office environment
- Knowledge of best practices in SEO; social media marketing for news; writing for eNewsletters; as well as familiarity with content management systems, photo editing software and related programs
Note: ParentMap operates in a flexible, virtual office environment, meaning that the managing editor will be based at home, but responsible for participating in a number of weekly meetings, in person and by phone; and in managing a team virtually. This job is full-time and reports to the publisher.
Salary and benefits: ParentMap offers a competitive salary package including paid vacation and sick leave.
How to apply: Email a cover letter, resume and recent writing and editing clips to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include “Managing Editor” in the subject line.
We welcome pitches from freelance writers for ParentMap.com or a future issue of ParentMap magazine. Please review the following guidelines below before writing your query letter or pitch.
1. Take a close look at ParentMap magazine, ParentMap.com and the type of pieces we publish before drafting your query. This will give you a good idea of the different kinds of stories we publish, our voice and our audience. As a Puget Sound-based monthly print publication and a national-audience website publishing daily, we're interested in both locally-anchored Puget Sound stories and broader parenting pieces.
2. We cover family life from pregnancy through college and beyond, and we aim for a diverse chorus of voices. We welcome guest bloggers who have a distinct voice and unique perspective on some aspect of parenting or family life, and we love writers who can swoop in and quickly riff on current affairs and parenting zeitgeists alike.
3. We generally work with writers who have some experience, so please list the publications in which your work has been published and, as available, links to your previous work.
4. Payment for stories depends on length and placement of the article. ParentMap purchases first American rights, print and electronic, for articles and pays within 45 days following publication.
ParentMap is also specifically looking for pitches from writers of color. Learn more.
Please email queries and pitches to email@example.com