Families know each other's habits, for better or for worse. For instance, who needs extra time in the morning to wake up and who isn’t eating any orange foods ever again (this week). But it turns out there’s a lot to discover about each other when we ask and answer questions, whether that’s in the car or around the dinner table.
The following conversation starters can be adapted for multiple generations, so grandparents, parents, kids and friends can all get in on the fun. Whether you’re heading out on a road trip or hanging out at home, here are a few fun prompts to spark some interesting conversations and maybe a few laughs, too.
- If you could teleport to one place right now, where would it be?
- Tell me one funny thing you saw today [on your way to school/work].
- What book character would you invite on a picnic? What would you make them for lunch?
- Would you rather have the ability to talk to animals or fly?
- What is your favorite color combination?
- If you could become an expert at one skill overnight, what would it be?
- If you were naming a video game after yourself, what would you call it?
- If you could be in one scene in a movie, which movie/scene would it be?
- What time of day do you like the best? Why?
- If you could pick a different name for yourself, what would you choose?
- What animal would you like to be?
- Describe your perfect day? [Adults can describe a perfect day now or what they would have loved as a kid.]
- What is the best present you’ve ever received?
- What is your favorite book?
- Have you ever lost something important to you? What did you do? Did you find it?
- Look out the window and describe the first three things you see.
- If you had to plant a garden with one kind of food, what would it be?
- What kind of pizza topping best describes you?
- Who is/was your closest childhood friend?
- Do you have any pets or a favorite pet? Why is that pet your favorite?
- If you had to give up one kind of food forever, what would it be?
- What was your favorite Halloween costume?
- What is the worst thing you have ever smelled?
- What is/was your favorite childhood toy?
- Is there something that worries you?
- What’s the best vacation you’ve taken?
- How many languages can you speak?
- What is your favorite room in your house?
- What type of weather best describes you?
- Would you rather be a werewolf or a vampire?
- If you could speak a new language fluently, what would it be?
- Do you think there is life outside of our galaxy?
- Would you live in a submarine if you had the chance?
- Would you live on a rocket ship if you had the chance?
- Would you rather be a cat or a dog?
- What’s the best part of your least favorite season?
- What’s the worst part of your favorite season?
- What fruit best describes you?
- What is the best thing you’ve ever smelled?
- What plant (tree, flower, etc.) best describes you?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- What is the grossest thing you’ve ever eaten?
- Describe your perfect day? [Adults can describe a perfect day now or one they experienced as a kid.]
You might also like: