ParentMap and PCC Natural Markets have partnered to produce an exciting web series called Healthy Kids Cook, designed to encourage families to make a healthy habit of cooking fresh food together in the kitchen, and to help explore the farm-to-table journey of some of your favorite foods.
PCC Natural Markets partners with Seattle Children's Organic Garden programs; in this video, Chef Jackie visits with the garden manager and harvests some fresh vegetables with her helpers Mason and Bailey, then they head to the TasteMobile to assemble their simple and tasty Super Salads. Here's to health!
Super Salad with Orange Dressing
Super colors, super flavors and super nutrition! Use a combination of your favorite seasonal vegetables for an ever-changing variety of color, flavor and texture.
These ingredients are vegetarian, corn-free, dairy-free, egg-free, gluten-free, peanut-free, soy-free, tree nut-free, nut-free, and wheat-free.
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 ounces mixed salad greens
- Red: bell peppers, radishes, strawberries, tomatoes
- Orange/Yellow: bell peppers, carrots, corn, orange segments
- Green; broccoli, cucumbers, green beans, snap or snow peas
- Blue/Purple: blueberries, blackberries, cabbage, red onions
- Tan/Brown: cauliflower, jicama, kohlrabi, mushrooms, white beans
In a small bowl, whisk together orange juice, mustard, honey and vinegar. Slowly drizzle in oil while whisking. Stir in poppy seeds, salt and pepper; set aside.
Divide greens between four plates. Decoratively arrange your choice of rainbow ingredients on top of greens. Drizzle with desired amount of dressing.
Recipe by Jackie Freeman, PCC Chef