VIDEO: Quick Back-to-School Recipe: Three Bean Soup
Get the kids cooking with this healthy lunch or dinner recipe that even picky eaters will love
This filling and warming soup comes together in a snap, and is perfect for busy school nights. Details from PCC Natural Markets.
Three Bean Soup
What you need:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 cup crumbled pork or turkey chorizo (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 (14-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can pinto beans, drained
- 1 (14-ounce) can great Northern beans, drained
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can corn, drained
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 teaspoons lime juice, or to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Tortilla chips, for serving
How you make it:
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
Add onions, peppers and chorizo; cook until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
Stir in garlic and cumin; cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
Add beans and cover with broth; bring to a simmer.
Cook for 30 minutes to allow flavors to meld.
ParentMap and PCC Natural Markets have partnered to produce an exciting web series called Healthy Kids Cook, designed to encourage families to make a healthy habit of cooking fresh food together in the kitchen, and to help explore the farm-to-table journey of some of your favorite foods.