Halloween is quickly approaching, and believe it or not it’s time to start putting together the perfect costume (and pulling out a craft or two, too). There is always the classic ghost, witch or monster, but if your little trick-or-treater wants something more on-trend, you’ve come to the right place.
2023 was a great year for epic kid entertainment. Stand-out hits include: “Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse”, “Super Mario Bros.”, “Elemental” and, of course, the wildly popular “Barbie” movie. These movies brought more than just entertainment; they brought Halloween costume inspiration too. Whether you are shopping for your tot, tween or a kid in-between, these character costumes should do the trick.
If your child wants to be under the sea, check out this gorgeous Ariel costume. In the style of the new live action movie, the dress has scale details, sequins and a multi-tiered iridescent organza “tail.” Available in 3T–size 12, this Halloween costume will be comfortable enough for trick-or-treat and any other dress-up occasion.
Whether your kiddo identifies with fiery Ember or go-with-the-flow Wade from the movie "Elemental," there is a costume to fit.
- Ember –This gold and purple dress comes with a hooded jacket and a mask, available in sizes for ages 3–11.
- Wade – Wear the suit of the City Water Inspector Wade, which comes with a mask to complete the watery look.
Your Super Kittie fan will be ready to pounce into action in this adorable Halloween costume. The jumpsuit comes with a face mask and of course, kitty ears. Choose from any of the four main characters and anything is pawsible!
Super Mario Bros.
Fans of the franchise can search the underworld as their favorite character from the 2023 movie. Dress up as Mario, Luigi or Princess Peach and "Let's-a-go!"
- Mario or Luigi – These costumes come with a long sleeve top, overalls, suede gloves, hat and adhesive moustache. Available in sizes 4/6–12.
- Princess Peach – This pretty pink satin dress comes with a shiny gold crown and attached amulet. Available in sizes 4/6–10/12.
Are your kids enjoying living in Barbie’s World? There are so many costume options for fans of the "Barbie" movie! From the classic gingham dress to the cowgirl outfit to the beloved weird Barbie, fans can be any version of Barbie they want to be.
- Ken – Are you Kenough? Dress as Rollerblading Ken or Cowboy Ken.
- Barbie box – Those photo-op Barbie boxes were so fun on opening weekend of the movie, why not continue the trend into Halloween by looking like you came right of the store shelf?
This officially licensed costume comes with a head covering, hoop dress with attached leggings and a cute curly tail. Put your little piggy in rubber boots in case she enjoys jumping in muddy puddles like Peppa.
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Go on an epic adventure as your favorite Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle. These Halloween costumes include the jumpsuit, masks, knee and elbow pads, plus a belt with the character’s initial. Character weapons aren’t included, but if your trick-or-treater wants to be ready to leap into action, you can find accessories here:
Top Gun Maverick
Is your kid a maverick? They can fly into the danger zone with these cool flight suits, perfect for any kid on Halloween or for cosplay. The flight suit comes with three interchangeable patches. Don’t forget the aviators!
Spider-Man, Across the Spider-Verse
Kids can channel their inner Spidey and leap across the Spider-Verse with these costumes, no radioactive spider bite required.
- Miles Morales – Dress as the hero, in this costume which includes the jumpsuit, shoe covers and fabric mask.
- Ghost-Spider, aka Spider-Gwen – For sizes 3T–13, this includes a hooded bodysuit, mask and gloves. The mask offers net, see-through eyeholes and breathing holes.
- Spot – This cool costume includes a body suit with 3-D printed spots and full headgear. At this same link you can find costumes for many of the other Spiders across the Spider-Verse.
Guardians of the Galaxy, Volume 3
- Groot – Even the smallest of Groot fans can show off their muscles in the jumpsuit that comes with gloves, shoe covers and mask. Sizes 4/6–10/12
- Guardian Team Costumes – Suit up for adventure with this Guardian Team jumpsuit for boys or girls. The high collared jumpsuit includes the belt and emblem for an officially licensed costume. This is a great costume to wear as a group to make an unstoppable team.
- Eleven – Channel Eleven’s (aka Jane Hopper’s) Season 4 style in this retro outfit that she wore to the roller rink when Mike came to visit. It includes the collared undershirt and the retro dress: Be sure and add your own socks to make the look complete.
- Demogorgon – Kids 5–14 can scare the neighbors on Halloween in this Demogorgon costume. The stretchy jumpsuit comes with gloves, shoe covers and a full head covering. The flower’s center is made of see through netting for easy visibility. Yikes!
Join the Rave’N dance in Wednesday’s little black dress. This outfit for kids 3–12 includes a wig, belt and long black socks. Great for Halloween or cosplay, your little storm cloud will dress to impress.
We hope this has sparked your imagination and that you have a safe and happy Halloween.
More Halloween fun
Editor’s note: This article contains affiliate links. If you purchase products through links on our site, ParentMap may earn an affiliate commission.