Oh, Harry. Pottermania revs up again this month as the seventh (and final) book in the series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, is released at midnight on July 21. During the last book release, bookstores all over conjured celebrations big and small to mark the occasion. This time is no different. Don’t miss your last chance to dress up in robes and party like a wizard until midnight. (Note: Check with bookstores before showing up. Some stores won’t be selling the book on the night of the release, and others offer discounts on advance sales of the book.)
• Borders stores in Tukwila, Federal Way, Puyallup, Tacoma and Olympia host a Grand Hallows Ball beginning at 9:30 p.m. on July 20. Everyone is encouraged to come in costume — wizardly robes or formal attire based on the Yule Ball in Book 4. Activities will keep partygoers busy until midnight. bordersstores.com
• University Bookstore sponsors WizRockStock, a week’s worth of musical performances by Potter tribute bands, at locations around the Puget Sound area. In Tacoma, Harry and the Potters perform at the Tacoma Armory, 715 S. 11th St., on July 11 at 7 p.m. 253-272-8080, ubookstore.com
• Eagle Harbor Book Co. on Bainbridge Island hosts a party on July 20 that gets the entire community into the act. Enjoy a Potter movie in the park at dusk, and line up early for the moment - at midnight - when the bookstore throws open its doors and starts selling and distributing books. 206-842-5332, eagleharborbooks.com
• Kings Books in Tacoma kicks off its party at 7 p.m. on July 20, with live Shakespeare performances in the parking lot, juggling by The EntertainMen and 7-year-old magician The Magnificent Abraham and His Hirsute Assistant. 253-272-8801, kingsbookstore.com
• Orca Books in Olympia decorates the store and provides snacks and activities for partygoers beginning at 10:30 p.m. on July 20. Come in costume! 360-352-0123, orcabooks.com
• Visit a Pierce County Library branch between July 10 and July 21 for free Harry Potter-themed events for ages 6-12. “The Secrets of Wizards” is at the Peninsula, South Hill, Lakewood, Sumner, Graham and University Place library branches; “The Magic of Harry Potter” is at the Steilacoom branch; and there’s a Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Party at the Peninsula branch. Visit piercecountylibrary.org for details.