Salmon spawning in the Duwamish River
First time out? Here are some tips so you know what to expect.
- Bring binoculars for a better view of the salmons’ physical changes.
- Dress to stay warm — watching salmon is a quiet activity.
- Keep pooches leashed (if dogs are allowed at all). A dead salmon might look like an irresistible snack.
- If you see a dead fish, leave it where it is. The ecosystem needs them!
- The salmon are hard at work. Stay out of the water and don’t disturb them in any way.
Editor's note: ParentMap staff contributed to this article, which was originally published in 2013 and updated most recently in September 2020.