In this year of selfies and Instagram you might feel like you're getting lots of pictures, but are they good ones? In this video, ParentMap photographer Will Austin chats about top tips for taking great photos this holiday season. And see (and share!) our tip list below:
Capturing once-in-a-lifetime moments:
- Be ready for the great moments: Have the camera charged and leave it out.
- Start taking pictures, before the moment starts so you don't miss it itself and snap away, they can always be deleted afterward.
- Trick for using a flash: Put a tissue over a direct flash to soften light, or if a moveable flash, aim at ceiling to bounce light.
Great photos with camera phones:
- Use a tripod mount for smart phones.
- Best apps: CameraSharp, Snapseed, Hipstamatic
Get good outside shots:
- Lighting can be tricky with lots of contrast, especially on bright sunny days on a ski slope.
- Use correct exposure in bright scenes.
- Use HDR function in your phone.