Parents' Night Out in the South Sound: Creative Alternatives to Babysitters
You get a night out, your kids have a blast. Deal?
When was the last time you went out on a real, live date with your partner? Thought so. For a stress-free date and a fun time for the kids, try taking your brood to a parents’ night out (PNO), where they’ll be highly entertained, fed and worn out while you sneak off to a movie or a restaurant that doesn’t stock high chairs. And you might even save a few bucks.
P.S. Find our Seattle and Eastside list of PNOs here.
The Little Gym offers “Parents’ Survival Night” on selected Friday and Saturday nights for ages 3–12. Games, music and themed activities make for a fun-filled evening. Current locations south of Seattle include Federal Way, Kent, Maple Valley and Puyallup.
- Price: Prices vary by location, but typically, it's 30/members and $35/non-members. Sibling discounts available in some locations.
- Time/dates: 5:30–9 p.m. on select Fridays and Saturdays. Find your closest location and call or check the website for details.
My Gym (Kent/Covington) locations offer PNOs that include games, relays, dancing and pizza.
- Price: $30/members; $35/non-members. 20 percent off siblings.
- Time/dates: PNOs are held the secnd and last Saturdays of each month from 6–9 p.m. for children ages 3 years and older (limited space available for non-potty trained kids). Call 253-630-8880 to reserve a spot.
WiggleWorks Kids, an indoor play center in Puyallup for kids 48 inches in height or under, offers a monthly PNO, called Takeover, for kids at least 1 year of age (and under 48 inches). It includes play, dinner and a movie.
- Price: $30/first child, $25/additional child. Reserve a spot by calling 253-445-6551
- Time/dates: Typically the 3rd Friday from 5–9 p.m.; check the online calendar.
Auburn YMCA (Auburn) hosts PNOs for potty trained children ages 3–11 years.
- Price: $20/facility members $35/community members. Includes a meal. Register online or call 253-833-2770.
- Time/dates: 5–10 p.m. on the third Saturday of each month.
Black Hills Gymnastics (Lacey and Olympia) hosts an open gym/Parents' Night Out once a month for youth ages 6–17. Kids eat pizza and play games while parents enjoy the evening to themselves. Call 360-413-9855 for details.
- Price: $35/child, or $30 for registrations made by the Wednesday prior to the event
- Time/dates: 5:30–10 p.m., last Saturday of each month
Roach Gymnastics (Sumner) hosts monthly PNOs for children ages 4–12. Kids enjoy supervised play in the kid-friendly gym and enjoy a parent-provided snack. Call 253-826-5999 to register.
- Price: $15/members and $10/additional member child, or $20/nonmembers and $15/additional child. Add $5 to price if you don't preregister.
- Time/dates: typically third Saturdays, 5:30-9:30 p.m.
Children's Museum of Tacoma hosts PNOs for potty-trained children ages 3–10 years twice a month. Kids enjoy the museum, participate in crafts and get pizza and treats.
- Price: $30/child, $15/each additional sibling. Members receive a 10 percent discount.
- Time/dates: Twice a month from 6–9 p.m. See website for specific dates.
Pump It Up (Tacoma) has a Parents' Night Out every Friday. Kids can enjoy the inflatables and are treated to pizza and a drink.
- Price: $20/child
- Time/dates: 6:30−9 p.m. every Friday
Hands On Children's Museum of Olympia hosts a quarterly PNO for potty-trained children ages 4–10.
- Price: $25/member, $15/member sibling. $30/nonmember, $20/nonmember sibling. Additional $5 applies to those registering the day of the event.
- Time/dates: 6–9:30 p.m. on a select date each quarter.
- Price: $27/facility members, $37/community members.
- Time/dates: 5:30–10 p.m. usually third Saturday of each month.