Diwali: Lights of India will take place on November 11: 12pm-6pm at the Armory Food & Event Hall. The festival is part of the Seattle Center Festál series. It is free and open to the public.
Seattle Center Festál presents Diwali: Lights of India in partnership with Northwest Share. This year’s festival features music, dance, visual art, martial arts, a cooking demonstration and more.
Come join us for a joy-filled afternoon with featured activities for all ages, including:
- Diverse arts and culture performances, including a live classical violin youth ensemble, classical and folk music, martial arts, and Bollywood dances
- Hands-on activity booths for all ages, including a Flower Mandala, Henna, face painting, spice making, and flower garland making
- Roti making demos and free vegetarian food for festival attendees
- Three visual art galleries showcasing new artists
- Puppet show and workshop
- Kolam floor drawings art form and workshop
- Yoga workshop
Diwali (Festival of Lights) is a major cultural celebration observed throughout India every fall. It symbolizes the victory of light over darkness, good over evil, and knowledge over ignorance. Light is a metaphor for knowledge and consciousness. During Diwali in India, houses and business locations are brightly illuminated with lamps, diyas (oil lamps), and candles. Lakshmi, the Goddess of Wealth, is worshiped for prosperity. Diwali is celebrated with families and friends, wearing new clothes, partaking in family feasts, enjoying delicious sweets, sharing gifts and most importantly, setting off firecrackers!