Understanding Your Child’s Temperament
Children are not born blank slates upon which their well-intentioned parents write a life story. Each of us is born with a unique temperament that shapes and determines to a large degree how we will evolve in life. Dr. Lengua shares fascinating insights into the role temperament plays in how our children manage stress and how parents can work with an understanding of their child's individual temperament — even when it is at odds with their own — to help their child manage stress.
Questions addressed in the video include:
- What is temperament and how does a child’s individual temperament develop and evolve from infancy on?
- What are the core parenting principles that help promote and support children’s emotion regulation?
- What are the best ways for parents to work with children who are impulsive or easily frustrated?
- What are the best ways for parents to work with children who tend to be fearful or anxious?
- What temperamental cues indicate how a child will manage stress, and what role does emotion regulation play in stress management?
- How can parents best help children learn to cope with stress?
About Liliana Lengua, Ph.D.